9.06.2008

A Fabulous Day

The beginning of September marked a major milestone in Kate's educational career: the beginning of kindergarten. All summer long I harbored a great deal of anxiety over this transition. She would be leaving the safe haven that was preschool, the magical place that transformed her from a screaming, dysregulated toddler into the delightful child she is today. It was the place where everyone knew her, students and teachers alike. It was the place she loved.

So it was with great trepidation that I put her on the bus that first day and bid her farewell. For the 2 1/2 hours that she was gone I paced back and forth, waiting for the phone to ring telling me I needed to pick her up immediately. Surely she would be overwhelmed by the bus ride and the large building and the new teacher and the 19 new classmates. I was confident this kindergarten thing was a recipe for disaster.


So it was with great surprise at dismissal time that I was greeted by a smiling Kate coupled with an enthusiastic thumbs up from the teacher. "A fabulous day!" the teacher gushed. No time for elaboration, Kate was quickly deposited into the car and off we drove, leaving a million unanswered questions swirling around my head. A fabulous day? What did she mean? A fabulous day for a kid with issues? Or a fabulous day just like any kid might have? A fabulous day as in she didn't throw herself on the ground and scream? Or a fabulous day as in she talked to the other kids and played with them? A fabulous day as in she blended in with the rest of the class, the autism indiscernible?

I looked in the rear view mirror to gauge Kate's reaction to all of the newness. It was the smile that silenced all of my questions. She is happy and that is all that matters. A fabulous day indeed.

8 comments:

Lori at Spinning Yellow said...

That is so wonderful! I was shocked that Scott adjusted to Kindergarten so well, I think I cried nearly every night thanking my (and his) lucky stars that it was working out.

I am so happy for Kate and for you. Here's to many more fabulous days to come!

kristen spina said...

Maybe this will be a good year for all our kids. I'm so happy that Kate is finding her way in Kindergarten. I wish you a school year of wonderful firsts!

Amy from Occupation: Mommy said...

I am so proud of Kate and you! What a milestone. She has come so far, and she can achieve whatever she sets her mind to. She must look so adorable trotting off to the bus stop each morning!

Niksmom said...

Hurrah for Kate! And for you, too, Delilah! :-) I hope Kristen is right and it is a great year for all our kids!

Osh said...

sounds fabulous to me~!

jess said...

i needed this right now .. i mean i NEEDED it .. the smile silenced the quesitons .. such a good reminder .. i've been sweating the details .. the stuff i can't know .. the stuff locked in her little head that she can't say .. but she's happy .. enough .. thank you, friend

datri said...

That is so wonderful and encouraging. I have a whole year before mine starts Kindy and I'm already stressing!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so happy for you all. The day went well! Enjoy!